Monday, December 28, 2009

Puppy Heaven

We brought home our little Penny on Christmas Day, and I'm still amazed at the ridiculous joy she's brought into our lives!

We've had three days as new parents, and I'd give us a solid B+. We've learned some important lessons -- for example, no matter how many books you read about training, nothing prepares you for the shivering, wimpering, big-soulful-eyed resistance to being off your lap!

Winter has been a big challenge for housebreaking, especially for those of us under 3lbs, but we've had almost two days without an accident and I think she's learning to tell us when she needs to go "outside." (She actually starts shivering as soon as she sees her leash - what a drama queen!)

We're trying to get her on a schedule this week that gradually builds on her alone time so she's ready when I go back to work. Today I went to the gym for an hour and she cried for about 20 minutes, then found her bone and her bed and she was fine when I got back. (I'm glad our neighbors have dogs so they don't hate us for the noise. For such a tiny thing, her whine is pretty powerful!) This is the most challenging in terms of the heartstrings -- she really wants nothing more in life than to snuggle with us. Preferably on the neck :)

We've also started our Puppy Kindergarten (we'll start training classes at PetSmart in a month or so), and she's at least familiar with "sit" and "come." She met Aunt Janet the other day and she was such a ninny! I'm hoping the neighbor dogs will help with socialization. Thursday is our first trip to the vet.

I'm a bit surprised at how well we've adjusted to being new parents. I didn't expect E to be so comfortable talking about bowel movements, but he's been great. I have moments of "bad mommy" panic, but the happy moments far outweigh the worries.

2 comments:

  1. very cute, holly. she sounds like she's developing at a fast or, at least, typical pace so that's a bonus! have fun and we'll expect more updates. ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is absolutely nothing in the world like coming home and seeing a happy, fluffy and jumping puppy who wants nothing more than your love. I'm so glad you finally got to bring her home!

    ReplyDelete